Home  >  Support  >  Support Forum  >  How to establish a connection between an endpoint device and a Xbee module coordinator?
Notice! We've recently migrated to using a new forum, we hope you enjoy it. If you are an existing member and this is your first time visiting our new forum, please reset your password to be able to sign in.

How to establish a connection between an endpoint device and a Xbee module coordinator?

0 votes
Hi all,
I am working with an Xbee S2 module from digi for a university project. The goal is to send messages to a device that is supposed to turn ON/OFF a light.
This device comes from a particular company (Cleode), that build a whole bunch of zigbee devices for home applications.
I am using XCTU for this project and when I establish the connection between the Xbee module and my device, it is only one directionnal: from the Xbee to the device. I have however the SL, SH and network addresses of the device.
My problem is that I can't, in any way, send any message to the device (I use the console in API mode).
Does anyone have a clue to tell me why I can't control my device from the Xbee module? Is there a step I am missing? Particular protocol messages to send before any control communication?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!!!!
asked Apr 14 in ZNet 2.5 by KatelineD New to the Community (1 point)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer
On the XBee, do you have the ZS parameter set to 2 (ZigBee-Pro Stack)?

If the third-party ZigBee radio is expecting a command from the Home Automation Profile, then the XBee is likely not going to support it. If it's a normal ZDO command, it should go through properly. Can you share the API frame you're sending?

-Charles
answered Apr 21 by Chiablo Community Contributor (107 points)
selected Apr 22 by KatelineD
Dear Charles,
Thanks a lot for your answer!
Unfortunately yes, the third-party devices I am using expect specific command from the Home Automation Profile... I just wanted to be sure that it was an incompatibility problem and nothing else :)
Dear KatelineD,

Hi, I'm working on a similar project, however I can't even connect my XBEE to the third party device. Would you have any advice?

Thanks in advance!
@michellechia

Just make sure ZS=2 and it should allow third-party ZigBee radios to associate. ZS=0 is the default and this adds an additional byte which is Digi specific to prevent non-Digi radios from associating and communicating. Other than that, PAN ID, Channel Mask, and encryption settings may also prevent association from occurring.
Dear @Chiablo,
Thanks for the reply! Yups I've set ZS = 2. However the third party device is actually a ZLL Phillips LivingColor. I suspect it could be due to the network security key that ZLL devices have that is preventing me from doing the association?

Thank you for your reply!
Your M2M Expert™for Businessfor Developers
Newsletter SignupYouTubeGoogle+FacebookCopyright © 1996-2013 Digi International Inc. All rights reserved. Legal