Home  >  Support  >  Support Forum  >  Listening to relayed packet in a (Digi)Mesh network
Notice! We've recently migrated to using a new forum, we hope you enjoy it. If you are an existing member and this is your first time visiting our new forum, please reset your password to be able to sign in.

Listening to relayed packet in a (Digi)Mesh network

0 votes
Hi! A little topology problem(!):
I need to make a reliable network where every node is suppose to receive a copy of all the information sent by the others. It is made of 5 nodes roughly in line (1<->2<->3<->4<->5) and spaced by 150 to 300 meters.

I experiment with Directed Broadcast and DigiMesh 868LP: I measure an effective range of about 100 meters. I think that to improve this, I should get rid of Broadcast and use Unicast with some kind of eavesdropping: I would then have node 1 send an unicast to node 5, node 2 to node 1 and 5, node 3 to 1 and 4, node 4 to 1 and 5 and node 5 to node 1. But this to work, I need to be sure that node 2, 3 and 4 can keep a copy of the data packets directed to node 1 or 5 that they relay. Is this possible to configure?

An alternative I suppose would be to use XBee 868 PRO (European version) and broadcast in one hop from each node to all others: 500 meters are really reliably covered with this product? What are the possible firmware (protocols) for this module?

Thanks for your help!

Christophe
asked Apr 2 in DigiMesh Proprietary Mesh Networking by Christophe Dupriez New to the Community (2 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes
Are all units spaced at about 150 - 300m apart from each other or is that the total over all distance?
answered May 5 by mvut Veteran of the Digi Community (1,465 points)
0 votes
150 meters between the modules (they are following a river). I switched to 868 PRO: I measure an effective range of 450 meters (line of sight in a not too cluttered environment). I use simple broadcast, no relaying for now (if I need it, it will have to be done at application level). Have a nice day! Christophe
answered May 6 by Christophe Dupriez New to the Community (2 points)
Contact a Digi expert and get started today! CONTACT US