Home  >  Support  >  Support Forum  >  code protection for bl2600
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

code protection for bl2600

0 votes
Is there a way to protect the code loaded into a BL2600 board?
asked Sep 26, 2013 in Feedback/Wish List by bakerwang New to the Community (2 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

+1 vote
Hello,Please check below article.
http://www.digi.com/ask_larry/2007/072607

Thanks.
answered Sep 30, 2013 by cpigilam Veteran of the Digi Community (498 points)
Thanks for the answer. I was hoping to be able to build a bunch of systems with the BL2600 and they would be sold around the world. I am worried that the binary code could be copied and replicated, although I understand that the pirates could not get at my C source code. However, I might be able to disable the pirated copies if I can think of some way that the code would have to be activated over the ethernet connection. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.
Hello, As far as I know ,No need to worry about the code on the module, because even if they copy the contents of flash, they can not understand anything since it is in hex values only and they can not replicate and use that flash data in another module.
However, if you would like to know,is there any way to disable the pirated copies, I suggest that please contact digi technical  support @  
tech.support@digi.com, I hope they will suggest you on this.

Thanks.
Thanks, but unfortunately the binary code can be copied from the flash memory and used on other BL2600 micros. Thus my IP can be pirated even though the perps will not have my source code and consequently I will have lost the ability to charge a royalty on the binary/hex code.
0 votes
Hello,

Your last comment is not true. You cannot do a memory dump of the binary contents of the flash and just put them into another board. It will not work.
answered Oct 1, 2013 by trooper2 Veteran of the Digi Community (468 points)
trooper2:
You may be right but Larry at http://www.digi.com/ask_larry/2007/072607 says the binary/hex code can be copied. If so, my code could be duplicated in other BL2600's and consequently I would lose control of at least my binary code and lose the ability to charge a royalty for it.
Contact a Digi expert and get started today! CONTACT US