Home  >  Support  >  Support Forum  >  Network Communication xbee s2
Notice! We've recently migrated to using a new forum, we hope you enjoy it. If you are an existing member and this is your first time visiting our new forum, please reset your password to be able to sign in.

Network Communication xbee s2

0 votes
Hi,

my task:
I want to create a network of 3 zigbees (2 Xbee S2 + 1 XSTICK 2)

The XSTICK is set as Coordinator (C) and both Xbees as Router (R1,R2).

Wanted communication:

C <=> R1
C <=>R2
R1 <=> R2

I already tried to use a broadcast, but it is to slow for my needs.
At the moment i use the AT Mode.

thank for all answers and any kind of help.
asked Jun 17, 2013 in Multipoint Proprietary by daicc New to the Community (1 point)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

3 Answers

0 votes
ZigBee is by design of low bandwidth and high latency. It is designed to slowly move data around RF opaque obstacles by hopping the data from node to node to complete a data path. I never heard of it as being described as "fast" if you want fast look at Digi's XB24 802.15.4 system for P2P/MP or the fancy new XB900HP that can do almost anything except cook your meal and handles DigiMesh, Repeater, and Point to Point/Multipoint in the same network on the fly. And can leap huge distances 29 miles at a hop.

With what you have use unicast 64 bit addressing. DL2 = SL1, DH2 = SH1 and the reverse... DL1 = SL2, DH1 = SH2.

Note that the special ZigBee case of DH/DL of 0,0 means that the Router or End Device will talk via unicast to the Coordinator whoever it is after finding its address via a automatic Node Discovery.

A broadcast in ZigBee is probably the single worst choice you could make.
answered Jun 18, 2013 by MikeN Community Contributor (80 points)
0 votes
Hi,

first of all thank you Mike for your fast response.
I really appreciate that.
Quote:
DL2 = SL1, DH2 = SH1 and the reverse... DL1 = SL2, DH1 = SH2

I know the adressing stuff between 2 objects.
But it's not obvious for me how to integrate a third object.
A Broadcast is no solution.

I'm in the dark.
Thank you
answered Jun 19, 2013 by daicc New to the Community (1 point)
0 votes
I think, for what you are trying to do, you should take the plunge and switch to API mode. What you are trying to do becomes trivial in API mode because any device can freely address any other device for each operation.
answered Jun 21, 2013 by dsainty New to the Community (3 points)
Can you explain it to me by giving me an example?
It d be great.
Broadly, you just send API requests to your local XBee with the address of the target XBee.

E.g. if you want to change pin 1 on device Y from device X, you send X an API request for a remote AT command, where the destination is the address of Y, and the AT command is "D1".

This works for any X and any Y in the mesh.
Contact a Digi expert and get started today! CONTACT US