Home  >  Support  >  Support Forum  >  ConnectPort Display P/N : 301-1180-01
Notice! We've recently migrated to using a new forum, we hope you enjoy it. If you are an existing member and this is your first time visiting our new forum, please reset your password to be able to sign in.
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

ConnectPort Display P/N : 301-1180-01

0 votes
I have one of these devices and it works great. I an using the 2 serial ports and need to more so I figured I'd get a couple of RS232 to USB adapters and plug them into the 2 front USB ports. But they don't seem to support that type of USB function. Do I have to use a Digi branded ones or does this device just not support this function? Thx.
asked Mar 29, 2007 in ConnectPort Display by melvincureton New to the Community (0 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

4 Answers

0 votes
The 2 front USB ports of a ConnectPort Display support USB mice and keyboards exclusively.

If you're looking for more serial ports, you may want to consider a Digi "serial-over-IP" device along-side the ConnectPort Display, i.e. a Digi PortServer.
answered Mar 29, 2007 by jeremym Veteran of the Digi Community (1,001 points)
0 votes
> The 2 front USB ports of a ConnectPort Display
> support USB mice and keyboards exclusively.

Hi, i've just received my ConnectPort Display and i'm quite surprised to read this. Both the product page and datasheet advertise the ability to connect "USB devices" over IP.

Could please give us some information on why it's technically impossible to connect printers or other type of USB devices (even without isochronous transfers)?

Thank you,
julien
answered Aug 24, 2009 by julien.luthi_at_merckserono.net New to the Community (9 points)
0 votes
Hi julien,

Actually, it's HID style USB devices that the ConnectPort Display is limited to. Mice and keyboards fall into this category and are the most used kinds of devices so that's probably why I mentioned just those.

HID means Human Interface Device - simple input devices. Other examples of HID devices are Point of Sale devices like barcode scanners and credit card readers.

This limitation is due to the VNC software that we use to handle the remote access. VNC also handles support for the HID devices through the USB ports.

Our AnywhereUSB (a network-attached USB hub) product can be used alongside a ConnectPort Display to add support for other kinds of USB devices, i.e. printers. The AnywhereUSB supports many more USB devices. Its only limitation is that it cannot support isochronous devices,
answered Aug 24, 2009 by jeremym Veteran of the Digi Community (1,001 points)
0 votes
OK then. If VNC handles the communication, it makes sense that only HID work. I was thinking that only video was getting through VNC, and that USB ports were "virtualised" with the same technology as AnywhereUSB.
Nonetheless, I maintain that your product datasheets are ambigous...

cheers,
julien
answered Aug 25, 2009 by julien.luthi_at_merckserono.net New to the Community (9 points)
Your M2M Expert™for Businessfor Developers
Newsletter SignupYouTubeGoogle+FacebookCopyright © 1996-2013 Digi International Inc. All rights reserved. Legal